Stay safe in the heat
NHS Lewisham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is calling on local people to stay safe in the heat as temperatures rise in London.
Most of us welcome hot weather, but when it's too hot for too long there are health risks. There are lots of ways to make sure you are protected but it's important to look out for the people who are most vulnerable. The health of the elderly, young children and babies and those with serious illnesses can be seriously affected by dehydration, heat exhaustion and heatstroke, and sunburn.
General tips for being sun safe:
- try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm
- wear sunscreen and reapply regularly
- wear loose cotton clothing
- drink lots of cool drinks to stay hydrated
- seek shade
- wear sunglasses and a hat
- never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
If you have any health concerns for yourself or for someone you know, please contact your GP or pharmacist.
You can get more information on staying safe this summer on the NHS Choices website www.nhs.uk.