The future of the NHS Lewisham Walk-in Centre, New Cross and proposals to improve access to primary care in Lewisham
About this consultation
This consultation is part of work to ensure healthcare services in Lewisham are of the highest quality and offer the best possible value for money, giving people in Lewisham better health and best care.
NHS Lewisham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) wants to improve urgent and non-urgent primary care across the borough and as part of this we are looking at the future of the NHS Walk-in Centre service, at the Waldron Health Centre in New Cross.
Primary care services provide the first point of contact in the healthcare system, acting as the 'front door' of the NHS and around 90% of patient interaction is with primary care services. Primary care includes GPs in general practice, community pharmacy, dental, and optometry (eye health) services. They work together to provide universal general health services.
Locally, primary care in Lewisham is currently available through:
- 39 GP surgeries
- GP extended access service at the University Hospital Lewisham
- Out of hours GP service
- NHS 111
- Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham
- High street pharmacies
- NHS Walk-in Centre in the Waldron Health Centre
- General dental and optometry (eye health) care
Our contract for the NHS Walk-in Centre service at the Waldron Health Centre expires on 31 December 2017 and we are considering what to do about it and how to improve provision and access to primary care beyond this date.
Why are we holding a consultation?
We think the way people access primary care services could be improved. People tell us the way it works currently is confusing, and means people are not always seen in the right care setting or at the right time, with some duplication of service elements.
We are committed to improving access to GP appointments and advice. Our priority is making sure that primary care services are easy to use, joined up and focus on helping people stay well. In order to do this, we need to:
• Remove the overlap and duplication in the services
• Provide clear and straightforward messages to people on how to access urgent and non-urgent primary care
• Get better value for money for all of our population
• Improve the provision and access to GP services for all Lewisham residents
The CCG now wishes to consult with patients, the public and other key stakeholders on our proposals, which includes closing the Walk-in Centre in New Cross.
The consultation runs for 12 weeks from Tuesday 8 August 2017 until Monday 30 October 2017, closing at 5pm on that day.
Have your say
We would like to know the views of local people, patients, carers, staff and community organisations.
We want to hear from as many people as possible. We are committed to providing the opportunity for everyone to have their say. We are also working with GPs, patient groups, local Healthwatch organisations and community and voluntary organisations to make sure we reach as many local people as possible. If you would like us to come and talk to your group about these proposals please get in touch.
Please read the consultation document before completing the questionnaire. You can either complete it online or by using a printed version and posting it back to us at the address below.
You can also share your views with us in the following ways:
- Attend drop-in events at the Waldron Health Centre, ground floor meeting room, 3 Amersham Vale, London, SE14 6LD:
- Friday 1 September 1pm-4pm
- Saturday 9 September 9am – 1pm
- Tuesday 12 September 10am-12pm
- Attend drop-in sessions at local council ward assembly meetings:
- New Cross Assembly meeting, Mulberry Centre, 15 Amersham Vale, London, SE14 6LE; Tuesday 5 September 6.30pm – 7pm
- Evelyn Assembly meeting, 2000 Community Action Centre, 199-201 Grove St, London SE8 3PG; Tuesday 3 October 6.30pm – 7pm
Telegraph Hill Assembly, Somerville Youth & Play provision, 260 Queen's Road, SE14 5JN, Tuesday 17 October 6.30pm
- Complete our online survey
- Complete a paper survey and post to us at the below address
- Telephone us at: 020 72063200
- Write to us at: Walk-in Centre Consultation, NHS Lewisham Clinical Commissioning Group, Cantilever House, Eltham Road, London, SE12 8RN
During the consultation period we are engaging with local people in order to explain our proposals, outline how people might be affected and encourage them to respond. We are arranging a number of drop-in sessions throughout the consultation and will be attending Patient Participation Groups (PPG) and local council ward assemblies.
All responses will inform a report, which will go to our Governing Body to consider and make a decision. We will put that report and details of whatever decisions are made on our website.
The consultation runs for 12 weeks from Tuesday 8 August 2017 until Monday 30 October 2017, closing at 5pm on that day. All responses must be received by the CCG by this time and date.
You can read our full consultation document (including survey) here: