Lewisham CCG’s commitment to equality and diversity
NHS Lewisham CCG has a duty to eliminate discrimination and promote equality for Lewisham people both in the delivery of its NHS services and employment practices. As part of this duty, we are required to develop equality schemes which outline what actions Lewisham CCG will take to ensure that patients, communities, carers and staff are treated equitably.
Equality delivery system (EDS)
The EDS is an NHS tool that helps organisations to analyse their equality performance with the help of local stakeholders. It allows them to prepare equality objectives and place equality into mainstream commissioning activities.
In 2011 NHS Lewisham CCG adopted the equality delivery system framework and has been using the tool to:
- support the mainstreaming of equalities into all its core business functions
- help raise equality in service commissioning and performance for the community, patients, carers and NHS staff.
The Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED)
The Equality Act 2010 brings together all previous equality legislation into one Act. It simplifies and strengthens the law in important ways to help tackle discrimination and inequality. The Act, which came into force in April 2011, includes a new public sector equality duty replacing the separate duties relating to race, disability and gender equality.
The public sector equality duty requires all public bodies to demonstrate how they have complied with the duty on an annual basis.This means that NHS Lewisham CCG must show compliance with both the general and specific duties of the PSED. The general duty asks organisations to have due regard to the need to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
The specific duty requires public bodies to:
- publish information to demonstrate compliance with the general duty by 31 January 2012 and annually thereafter
- publish one or more equality objectives, covering a up to a 4 year period by 6 April 2012 and
thereafter annual updates.
Lewisham CCG draft annual equality report
NHS Lewisham CCG’s Annual Equality report describes how equality has been integrated into the work of the CCG.
You can view this and related reports in the document library below. You can also find out more about how we work to achieve our shared equality and diversity objectives via the Lewisham Joint Strategic Needs Assessment and on Lewisham Borough Council's website .